This has to be one of our absolute favourite appetizers. Full of garlic and herbs, this is one highly addicting and super satisfying dish! There are certain cheeses that once whipped create the most amazing dip or spread and feta is one of them. Add a few simple ingredients to enhance the flavour, top with slow roasted cherry tomatoes, serve with fresh grilled bread and you have yourself a knockout appetizer!
What you will need:
- 1 quart fresh cherry tomatoes
- 2 cloves of garlic; thinly sliced
- ¼ cup olive oil + 2 tbsp.
- Pinch of salt
- 3-4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 cup reduced salt feta; crumbled
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 4 tbsp. water
- pinch of salt and pepper
Serve with: Fresh bread, sliced (we like to use rye sourdough)
Prep Time: 5 minutes – Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Add cherry tomatoes, sliced garlic and thyme to a medium sized cast-iron skillet. Pour in olive oil, season with a pinch of salt, and toss to combine. Roast for 35-40 minutes until the tomatoes are very soft and caramelized. Toss twice while cooking.
- Using an immersion blender, combine the feta, olive oil, water, salt and pepper. Blend until very smooth and creamy. Store whipped feta in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Preheat BBQ grill to a medium-high heat. Brush both sides of bread slices with a good amount of olive oil.
- Grill bread on both sides until slightly charred and crisp, just a minute or so per side. Transfer the bread to a cutting board and cut each piece in half.
- Spoon the whipped feta into a bowl. Discard thyme sprigs. Lay the roasted tomatoes and garlic over top of feta, drizzle with a bit of oil from the skillet. Garnish the dish with a few thyme leaves and fresh cracked black pepper. Serve with the grilled bread.