What started out as an appetizer quickly turned into a superb breakfast idea too!! We tested this recipe out for an evening appetizer and were delighted with how delicious they turned out! As an added bonus, they doubled as the perfect bunch the next morning! Fresh and healthy tarts, filled with sautéed spinach, feta cheese and caramelized onions take these gems to a new level of mouthwatering. Let cool completely to unlock even more flavour!
What you will need:
- 6 ounces of fresh spinach
- ½ generous cup light feta; crumbled
- ¼ generous cup white onion; finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. olive oil – divided
- 1 large garlic clove; minced
- Salt and pepper
- 2 eggs; beaten
- 1 thawed puff pastry sheet; kept refrigerated
Prep Time: 20 minutes – Cook Time: 20 minutes
- In a large pan, drizzle 1 tbsp. oil and bring to medium-low heat. Add spinach and cook until wilted and dark green. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer spinach to a small bowl and set aside.
- Using the same pan add a 1/2 tsp. of butter or oil, onions and sauté until golden brown. Turn off heat and add garlic. Stir to mix.
- In a medium sized bowl, add spinach, onions and garlic, feta, 1 tbsp olive oil and eggs. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and spray a muffin tray with non-stick cooking spray. Roll the puff into an approximately 12 inch square and cut into 3 equal strips. Slice those strips into 3 squares each, giving you 9 squares total.
- Insert 9 of the muffin pan cups with one of the pastry squares, then evenly fill the squares with your spinach and egg mixture. Lightly press the four pastry corners together over the egg cups.
- Bake tarts for 20 minutes until the pastry is golden brown and eggs have set. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
**You can easily make this recipe ahead of time and store in the fridge until ready to serve! We find the longer you let them cool, the more flavour they have!