A scrumptious sidekick to your next cup of hot tea or coffee. The combination of lemon and cranberry is just divine and even more enticing when served in a warm buttery pastry and drizzled with a sweet lemon glaze. Talk about melt-in-your-mouth! Perfect for those busy days ahead and festive enough to enjoy all season long!
Below makes 12 scones.
What you will need:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp. white sugar
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter; cut into pieces
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 eggs; beaten
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
Prep Time: 20 minutes ◊ Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Mix together. Add butter, and using two knives or pastry cutter, cut until butter resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center of the mixture. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, beat eggs, add milk, lemon zest, lemon juice, cranberries and vanilla extract. Mix thoroughly.
- Pour liquids into the center of flour mixture and using a fork, mix until all the flour is wet.
- Transfer dough onto a floured surface, and knead until dough becomes smooth and forms a ball. Dough will slicky, so you will need to add approximately 1/4 cup of flour as you knead.
- Roll dough into an even ball, then slice in half with a large knife. With each half, roll into a separate smaller ball.
- Using your palms and fingers, flatten each ball into a circle 5-6 inches in diameter. Cut each circle into 6 even wedges. Place on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes until slightly golden in colour. Bottoms should be golden brown.
- Transfer to wire rack and let cool for 1 hour.
- To make glaze, add powdered sugar and lemon juice to a small bowl. Whisk until well combined. Once scones have completely cooled, drizzle scones with glaze and if desired sprinkle with white sugar.
- Store in a tightly sealed container for 4-5 days. Serve warm and don’t forget the jam!