BBQ season is in full swing and there is nothing like a juicy flavour packed chargrilled burger. Perfect for dinners at the cottage, weekend backyard barbeques or date night on the patio! Seasoning the burger before it’s cooked is the key to cramming all the flavour in. Use fresh ingredients to garnish your burger and going the extra mile by using a buttery delicious brioche bun is something you will not regret! Serve with a simple fresh seasonal salad or quick slaw for the perfect side!
Below makes 4 burgers:
What you will need:
- 1 lb ground beef (or a pork/beef blend)
- 4 strips of bacon; cut in half
- ½ cup cooking onion; finely diced
- 6-7 dashes or worcestershire sauce
- 3 cloves of garlic; minced
- 1 tbsp. BBQ sauce
- 4 large basil leaves; finely chopped
- ¼ tsp. Red chilli flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 brioche buns
- Extra Old Cheddar Cheese, sliced or grated
Prep Time: 20 minutes ◊ Cook Time: 6-7 minutes
- Begin by precooking the bacon until crispy. Remove from the pan and set aside on paper towels. In the same pan, add finely diced the onions and heat to medium heat. Season onions with salt and pepper and sauté until they are golden brown and nicely caramelized. When onions are almost done, add garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, add beef, caramelized onions/garlic, worcestershire sauce, bbq sauce, basil, chilli flakes and season with salt and pepper. Mix together until well combined. For best flavour, put seasoned beef mixture in the fridge for a minimum of 1 hour.
- Roll beef mixture into a ball and cut into 4 “even” quarters. Use your hands to roll each quarter into a tight ball, then flatten until 1 inch thick. If you have a burger press, even better!
- Place each burger patty on a square of parchment paper to easily transfer to the grill when ready.
- Heat grill to approx 450F. While the grill is heating, slice your brioche buns and prepare your favourite burger toppings.
- When the grill is hot and ready to go, use the parchment paper to easily flip burgers over onto the grill. Close BBQ lid and let the burgers cook undisturbed for 4 minutes, flip and cook for 2-3 minutes. During the last minute, add cheese and lightly toast the buns on the warming rack.