There is something about grilled fruit that just screams summer, don’t you think? It may not seem like the most obvious choice to grill but the result is juicy, refreshing and absolutely delicious. Especially when paired with a few extra ingredients! Make an easy appetizer out of it with grilled cantaloupe, mozzarella, fresh basil and prosciutto skewers….finished off with a drizzle of balsamic glaze.
Note: This recipe depends on how many people you are serving and how large you make them. Rule of thumb, you should prepare for 1-2 skewers per person. Below recipe makes 4 skewers. You can also make these up to 1 day ahead of time and just fire up the grill when you are ready to serve.
What you will need:
- 12 pieces of cantaloupe; roughly cubed
- 8 thick slices of mozzarella; roughly cubed
- 8 slices of prosciutto; rolled up
- 4 large basil leaves; halved
- Balsamic drizzle; such as UNICO* found in most grocery stores
Note: If you are using wooden skewers, be sure to soak them in water briefly before assembly.
- Preheat the grill to approx 450F.
- The process is really quite simple. Begin by cutting the cantaloupe, mozzarella and basil and rolling up the prosciutto somewhat tightly.
- There is no right order to add the ingredients to the skewers (just don’t have the mozzarella on the end); however I like to start and end with a cantaloupe piece so everything is tucked in between the juicy cantaloupe! We use 3 cantaloupe pieces, 2 mozzarella cubes, 2 prosciutto rolls and 2 basil halves on each skewer.
- We assemble something like: Cantaloupe, mozzarella, basil, prosciutto, cantaloupe, mozzarella, basil, prosciutto, cantaloupe.
- Place skewers on the hot BBQ grill and grill for 30 seconds, flip and grill again for 30 seconds. Don’t over grill or your cheese will melt away. Transfer to a serving platter and drizzle with balsamic glaze. Serve immediately with a knife and fork.