Layers of noodles smothered in melted cheese, seasoned beef and tomato sauce? Who wouldn’t be drooling? Lasagna is a classic and loved by so many. Wholesome and delicious, this Italian inspired dish is perfect for larger gatherings or meal prep. Try preparing one of these mouth-watering dishes for busy weeknights, cottage trips or Sunday dinner. Here is our take on a roasted red pepper and basil infused meat lasagna. Easily prepared ahead of time, reheated or frozen! Considering pair with a mix greens salad and garlic toasts.
What you will need:
- 1lb lean ground beef
- 12-14 mozzarella cheese slices
- Oven ready lasagna noodles
- 1.5 – 2 jars of tomato sauce (we like to use roasted red pepper)
- 6 large basil leaves; finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic; minced
- 1/2 cup white onion; finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 4-6 tomato slices
- Parmesan cheese; grated
Prep Time: 25 minutes ◊ Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- In a medium sized skillet heat olive oil a to medium-high heat. Add onions, garlic and season with a touch of salt and pepper. Sauté onions and garlic until tender, and onions have browned.
- In a large bowl add ground beef, sautéed onions/garlic, basil and thoroughly mix. Add tomato sauce and continue to mix until well combined.
- In an oven safe casserole dish, add a layer of lasagna noodles, then a layer of beef sauce and cover with cheese slices. Repeat to create 2-3 layers, (depending on the size of your dish), ending with a layer of cheese on top. Note: You may need to break the lasagna noodles to fit your dish.
- Top lasagna with tomato slices, sprinkle with oregano and grated parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes until noodles are super soft. Test readiness by inserting a dinner knife 2-3 times into various spots of the lasagna. If the knife is easily inserted, the lasagna is done.
- Let rest for 15 minutes before serving.