Classic, comforting and a cure for all! Nothing beats the winter blues like a steaming bowl of hearty soup. This is a go-to dish for us when someone in the house is under the weather, or you just want to feel warm and cozy on a cold winter’s day. Packed with hearty vegetables and delicious chunks of tender chicken, this soup is perfect to warm hearts and bellies. Chicken soup is also a fantastic meal prep option during the chilly seasons for both lunch and dinner! We love to serve this soup with slices of fresh baguette for soaking up every last drop of goodness.
What you will need:
- 3 cups water
- 1 can condensed chicken soup
- 900 ml low sodium chicken broth (1 box)
- ¼ cup white onion; finely chopped
- 1tsp. dried thyme
- 3-4 bay leaves
- 4 skinless chicken thighs; bone in
- 2 celery sticks; thinly chopped
- 2 carrots; peel and finely chopped
- 1/3 cup frozen peas
- 1/3 cup small noodles
- salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
Prep Time: 20 minutes ◊ Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Add olive oil to a large stock pot and bring to medium heat. Add onions, carrots and celery. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Cook until onions are nicely browned. Approx 5 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add water, condensed soup, chicken broth, thyme, bay leaves and chicken thighs. Stir. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer partially covered for 35 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Remove chicken thighs, place on cutting board and using a fork and a kitchen knife pull chicken off the bones. Roughly chop chicken into bite size pieces. Remove bay leaves and discard along with bones.
- Add chicken back into pot, along with noodles and peas. Bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes until noodles are al dente. Stir occasionally.
- Serve with sliced baguette and enjoy!