Grab your mandoline and lets get slicing! Delicate, vibrant, and delicious! This beautifully presented vegetable side dish will be sure to add a pop of colour to your holiday get together! This gratin dish is all about texture and layers of yumminess. We love the crispy, crunchy layer on top, melted cheese and flavourful veggies elegantly displayed beneath. It is a dish that will take your breath away!
What you will need:
- 1 1/2 beets; red, golden or both; peeled
- 1 1/2 turnips; peeled
- Approx 1 neck of butternut squash; peeled
- 1 shallot; diced
- 5 tbsp. Olive oil
- 2 tbsp. Butter
- 1 tbsp. Fresh thyme leaves
- salt and pepper
- ¾ cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 garlic cloves; minced
- ¼ cup bread crumbs
- ½ cup parmesan cheese; grated
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 1hr 10 mins
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and grease a 10-inch cast iron skillet with a touch of olive oil.
- Slice the peeled squash, beets and turnips using a mandoline. Layer the vegetables in the skillet, starting with a layer of squash, followed by turnips and beets. Repeat. Lightly season each layer as you go with a touch of salt and pepper. Set aside. Note: When layering the vegetables, place each layer a bit further from the skillets edge than the one before – this way you can showcase all the layers. For the second layer of squash, we used a circular cutter to create smaller slices or just quarter the squash slices.
- To create the gratin sauce: add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to a large saucepan and bring to medium-high heat. Add shallots and cook for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and add the remaining 3 tablespoons of oil and the butter. Stir until butter has melted. Incorporate the thyme, garlic and stock.
- Pour the sauce over your layered vegetables and cover skillet with foil. Bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle with breadcrumbs, top with Parmesan cheese and bake uncovered for an additional 15 minutes until the cheese is melted and breadcrumbs have become crispy.
- Garnish with fresh thyme or chopped chives! Serve warm.