The temperatures are dropping and a hearty steaming bowl of soup is just the thing to stay cozy this winter! This delicious recreation of a classic is ultra savoury and sophisticated. Delicious, healthy and homemade! Soups are a wonderful way to meal prep for your busy week ahead.
What you will need:
- 12 medium tomatoes
- 2 heads of garlic
- Drizzle of olive oil
- Drizzle of balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tsp. thyme
- 10 leaves of fresh basil
- 2 medium white onions
- 1 cup roughly chopped carrot
- 1 cup roughly chopped celery
- 2 beef stock cubes (chicken or veggie will work too!)
Prep Time: 10 minutes ◊ Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut tomatoes in half and transfer to a non-stick baking sheet
- Slice off a small portion of the garlic head tops and add to baking sheet with tomatoes.
- Generously drizzle the tomatoes and garlic heads with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, then season liberally with salt and pepper.
- Roast tomatoes and garlic for 35-40 minutes until both tomatoes and garlic are very tender and soft to the touch. Turn a few times while cooking. Set aside to cool.
- In a large stock pot, add olive oil and bring to a medium high heat. Add onions, carrots, celery, thyme, salt and pepper. Stir to mix then cook until tender 6-8 minutes. Then add cooked tomatoes into stock pot.
- On a cutting board remove the roasted garlic by squeezing the bottom of the head. The roasted cloves should pop right out. Once you have removed all the cloves. Use the back of a fork and push down on the roasted cloves on a cutting board; creating a paste. Add to stock pot.
- Add beef stock cubes to pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer partially covered for 10 minutes.
- Next you will need an immersion blender or a high performance blender. Add basil into the pot and blend the ingredients until smooth and creamy in consistency.