These potatoes are a smashing idea! Crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. What a great alternative to the more traditional styles of potatoes. These smashed potatoes are super easy and absolutely delicious. This recipe is far from an exact science, so get creative with a dash of this or a sprinkle of that!
What you will need:
- Mini potatoes
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Garlic powder
- Parmesan cheese; grated
- Fresh chives; roughly chopped
Prep Time: 5 minutes ◊ Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Fill a medium sized pot with water and bring to a boil. Season water with a pinch of salt and add potatoes.
- Let potatoes boil for 15-20 minutes until soft and easily pierced with a fork. Strain then rinse with cold water.
- One by one you need to “smash” the potatoes. Using something like the bottom of a small bowl or skillet can be quite effective. Place potatoes on a cutting board and press down with the bottom of your bowl to flatten the potato. Tip: don’t press too hard or you will break the potato in half.
- Transfer smashed potatoes onto a greased baking sheet and set oven to a high broil.
- Drizzle potatoes with olive oil, season with salt, pepper and a touch of garlic powder, then sprinkle with a generous amount of parmesan cheese.
- Broil until potatoes are golden brown and cheese is melted (less than 5 minutes). Remove from broiler, add additional grated parmesan and garnish with fresh cut chives.