Light, creamy and packed with flavour! This spin on mashed potatoes is lighter and is a wonderful alternative! The parsnips offer a lovely sweetness to this side dish that pairs so well with pork, chicken or beef! This dish is easy to prepare and keeps well as leftovers! Try this recipe for your next holiday party or family family dinner!
Below Serves 2-3 people. Double recipe for larger crowds.
What you will need:
- 1 large potato – peeled, roughly chopped
- 2 parsnips- peeled, roughly chopped
- 3 strips of bacon
- ⅓ cup white onion; finely chopped
- 2 tsp; fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp. butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
Prep Time: 10 minutes ◊ Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Start by bringing water to a boil in a large pot. Once temperature reaches boiling point, add chopped parsnips and potatoes. Boil until both are easily pierced with a fork.
- Precook bacon until crispy. Set aside. On medium-low heat, in the same pan with the bacon grease, add onions and thyme. Let cook until onions have caramelized and become nicely golden brown. Chop bacon, and add into the pan. Mix together thoroughly. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Drain parsnips and potatoes then transfer back to pot. Add butter, then mash until smooth in in texture. Season with salt, pepper and add bacon and onion mixture into pot. Thoroughly combine. Serve hot!