Anyone else a fan of cinnamon and raisins held together with flakey pastry? These scones are the perfect breakfast treat to make your family and are a wonderful idea for showers and tea parties! Serve cold or slightly warmed and pair these tasty delights with your favourite flavour of jam and you will fall in love!
Below makes 12 scones:
What you will need:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 tsp. baking powder
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ¾ cups raisins
- ¾ cups butter; softened slightly
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
Prep Time: 25 minutes ◊ Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, add flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, cinnamon and raisins. Mix together.
- Add butter to flour mixture and using a pastry blender or two knives, cut butter until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a smaller bowl, beat egg and add milk. Mix together.
- Slowly add liquid mixture into flour mixture. Using a spatula, combining thoroughly.
- On a lightly floured surface, transfer dough and knead into itself until well combined and you can roll into a solid ball.
- Cut the rolled ball in half, and roll each half into a well shaped ball. On a lightly floured surface, use your hands to gently pat down each ball creating an oval or circular shape that is ½ inch thick. TIP: Patting rather than rolling makes the scones less dense.
- Cut each circular shape into 6 wedges, and place on a greased baking sheet.
- Sprinkle tops of scones with a bit of white sugar, and bake for 12 minutes until bottoms are golden brown.
- Remove from oven and transfer to a wire baking rack to cool. We love to serve ours with strawberry jam! Will keep for up to 1 week in a ziplock bag or airtight container.