Chilli and Winter are a match made in heaven! If you are like us, you like to heat things up during the chilly months of the year. Make a batch of this Spicy Texas Chilli to keep you warm through the cold days ahead! The more flavour you can add into this hearty meal the better. We especially like our Chilli with an extra kick of spice, which adds so much flavour that lingers long after the last bite. Give this recipe a whirl and see for yourself how tasty you can make your own homemade Chilli! Try also making your own pita crisps as a fun and delicious way to dip into this bowl of goodness.
What you will need:
- 2 tbsp. Olive oil
- 2 medium cooking onions; finely chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic; minced
- 3 tbsp. Chilli powder
- 2 tbsp. Paprika
- 1 tbsp. Cumin
- 3 tsp. Oregano
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 4 -5 spicy/hot sausages; casings removed and cut into bite size pieces
- 1 can crushed tomato puree (28 oz)
- 1 can red kidney beans; drained and rinsed
- 1 can BBQ baked beans with chiles
- 2 tbsp. Chipotle chiles in adobo sauce; minced
Try topping your Chilli with Sour Cream, Grated Cheddar Cheese, Green Onion and/or Chives!
- 4 -5 Naan bread pitas
- Olive oil
Prep Time: 15 minutes ◊ Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Add olive oil to a large stock pot, and bring to medium high heat. Add onions and garlic, then cook for about 5-6 minutes until onions are golden brown.
- Add chilli powder, paprika, cumin and oregano. Stir until well combined. Add beef and sausages, then continue to cook for 5 minutes until beef is only slightly pink.
- Add tomato puree, beans and chiles. Mix thoroughly. Reduce heat and let simmer with lid slightly ajar for 1 hour. Stir occasionally.
- To make the pita crisps, slice naan bread into 6 quarters and place on a large baking sheet. Lightly brush top side of the naan bread with olive oil and season lightly with salt. Bake at 350 degrees F for 7-8 minutes. Let cool before serving. Pita crisps can be stored in a ziplock bag for up to a week.
**Chilli can also easily be frozen in an air tight container and stored in the freezer for a convenient and delicious meal prep option. Just take it out the night before the thaw.