Pot pie- Oh my! Does anyone else crave more comfort and convenience in their cooking once the cooler months set in? There is something extra special about arriving home to a delicious and hearty pot pie after a long day of work or knowing you can throw one together in just a few steps. These pies have to be one of the ultimate comfort foods. Pair with some roasted root vegetables or a simple salad and dinner is served! Prep is quick and easy, and they make for some amazing leftovers!
What you will need:
- 1.5 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 small cooking onion; chopped finely
- 1 garlic clove; minced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 can condensed potato soup
- ½ cup old cheddar cheese; shredded
- ½ tsp. dried thyme
- 2 pre-rolled puff pastry sheets
- ¼ tsp. milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
Prep Time: 25 minutes ◊ Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a medium sized frying pan, on medium heat add a touch of olive oil, onions and garlic, then saute until they turn a deep shade of brown.
- In a large frying pan, on medium heat, cook ground beef until only slightly pink. Drain.
- Reduce heat, add sauteed onion and garlic mixture, peas, condensed soup, cheese, thyme, salt and pepper to beef. Mix together with a spatula. Simmer until heated through. Approximately 2-3 minutes.
- Line your pie plate with one of the puff pastry sheets. Trim off any excess pastry. Spoon prepared filling into waiting pastry lined pie plate; making sure it is evenly distributed.
- Lay second puff pastry over pie; tucking any excess pastry under itself. Pinch or press around the edge of the pie to seal. Brush the top of your pie with milk.
- Bake for 22-24 minutes until pastry is nicely golden brown.
- Let cool for 10-20 minutes before serving.