This is our kind of saucy! Perfectly paired with pasta or used as a pizza sauce. This homemade tomato sauce is super easy and extremely flavourful. The smokiness created from utilizing the BBQ really takes this sauce to the next level. We absolutely love it! Fill a few jars and store them in the freezer to conveniently take you through the cooler months.
Below makes 6 cups.
What you will need:
- 6-7 large tomatoes; we used beefsteak
- 1-2 medium cooking onion
- 9-10 garlic cloves; crushed
- Generous amount of olive oil
- Generous amounts of salt and pepper
- 15-17 fresh small basil leaves
Prep Time: 15 minutes ◊ Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Preheat BBQ to a low heat; approximately 375 degrees F. Note: You can also use an oven for this recipe.
- Cut tomatoes and onion into quarters, crush garlic and add to a large BBQ safe roasting pan.
- Cover with a generous drizzle of olive oil, ensure a nice even coating. Finish with a generous seasoning of salt and pepper. Toss to mix.
- Transfer roasting pan to preheated BBQ and let simmer for 35-40 minutes until tomatoes and onions are very tender. Stir occasionally.
- When ready, remove pan from heat and transfer contents to a blender. Add basil leaves, and blend for 20-30 seconds until smooth.
- Using a funnel, transfer prepared sauce into jars and let cool before sealing. Store in the fridge for up to 1 week or freeze for use in the months to come!