Looking for a way to spice up your chicken recipes? Try this deliciously seasoned and super moist Beer Can Chicken! This technique is super easy and low maintenance. You can quickly throw it together, and get back to entertaining your guest while the BBQ does all the work! As an added bonus, you only need half a can of beer for this recipe. So enjoy the other half while you are waiting for the chicken to cook!
What you will need:
- 3 lb whole chicken; insides removed
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. chilli powder
- 1 tbsp. paprika
- 2 tsp. dry mustard
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- ½ can of your favourite beer
- 1 medium sized cooking onion
Prep Time: 20 minutes ◊ Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Begin by patting down your chicken with paper towels to remove excess moisture. Set aside.
- Preheat your BBQ to medium-high heat (approx 375 degrees F).
- In a small mixing bowl, add sugar, chilli powder, paprika, mustard, garlic, salt and pepper; then toss until thoroughly combined.
- Sprinkle approximately half a tablespoon of seasoning into the cavity of the chicken, then push the whole onion up inside the chicken cavity.
- Using your hands, generously pat remaining seasoning over the entire outside of the chicken .
- If you have a Beer Can Chicken pan, fill center with beer and place chicken upright onto the stand. If you are without the pan, fit the whole chicken over the beer can with the legs facing down, then sit upright in a roasting pan.
- Place the prepared chicken on the BBQ and cook with lid closed for 50 minutes until juices run clear. When you have 10 minutes left, cover the bird with tin foil to prevent over browning on the top. Internal temperature should read 165 degrees F at the thickest part near the bone.
- Cover chicken with aluminum foil and let rest for 10 minutes before serving.