Delicious, delicate and beautiful. Zucchini Blossoms are subtly sweet and add a graceful addition to any plate. Get out of your comfort zone any try adding something extra special to your next dinner menu! There are a number of ways you can prepare these beauties, but here is a sublime stuffed version which perfecty showcases how magnificent these blossoms are. Using the vegetable oil gives the petals a delicious caramelized crunch which beautifully encases your savory filling! For best results; use the blossoms right away as they don’t have a long shelf life.
What you will need:
- 8-10 Zucchini blossoms; rinsed
- 2 strips of cooked bacon; roughly chopped
- 1 small cooking onion; finely chopped (approx ¼ cup)
- ⅓ cup feta cheese; crumbled
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
Prep Time: 30 minutes ◊ Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Begin by rinsing your blossoms gently, then set aside to dry thoroughly.
- In a medium sized skillet, cook the bacon until somewhat crispy. Set aside on paper towel.
- In the same pan, add chopped onions and sauté on medium heat until golden brown.
- In a small bowl, combine feta, onions and chopped bacon. Mix thoroughly.
- Now to stuff your blossoms. Because of the delicate nature of the blossoms, we found this an easier task to do with two people. Have one person gently hold open the blossoms, while the other uses a small spoon to fill the insides. Have the person holding the blossoms, carefully pack the filling mixture down inside.
- Once the blossom is filled, twist the tops of the blossom petals gently to seal.
- Add vegetable oil to a large skillet and heat to medium temperature. Once oil is heated fully, place blossoms into the hot oil and cook for approximately 8-9 minutes. Turn every 2 minutes until all sides are golden brown.
- Remove blossoms from pan and place on a paper towel briefly before serving.