What a beautiful and elegant way to showcase strawberries! Talk about a gorgeous centerpiece for your next dessert table. Not only does this work of art look sensational, but the flavours are delicate and luscious. The layers intertwine so wonderfully; from the crumble bottom to the creamy custard, all topped with the subtle sweetness from the strawberries. Is your mouth watering yet?
What you will need:
- 10-12 Strawberries; sliced thinly
Graham cracker crust:
- ½ cup butter
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 ¼ cup finely crushed graham crackers (about 19)
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 ½ tsp. vanilla extract
Prep Time: 1 hour 30 minutes ◊ Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and lightly grease a 9 inch pie plate.
- Melt butter in microwave for approximately 15 seconds then mix in sugar. Add graham crackers and toss to mix. Spread evenly over pie plate and press firmly onto bottom and sides of pie plate.
- Bake for 5-6 mins or until crust is a light golden brown. Set aside to cool completely.
- Now to make the custard. In and medium sized saucepan, on low heat, add sugar, salt, flour and milk. Whisk continuously until smooth. Bring to a boil, over medium heat and whisk constantly until mixture thickens. Approximately 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk egg yolks, and gradually whisk in your milk mixture; about a cup at a time.
- In a clean saucepan, add mixture and simmer for 2-3 minutes until thick. Add butter and vanilla and stir until butter is melted.
- Use a sieve to strain your mixture; ensuring no lumps in your custard.
- Place strained custard into a medium bowl, cover with plastic wrap and place in fridge to chill for 1 hour.
- To assemble, spoon custard into prepared graham cracker crust and smooth the surface with the back of a metal spoon.
- To decorate the top of your pie, start from the outermost edge and use your largest strawberry slices. Continue circling inward as evenly as possible until most of your pie is covered. Save your small strawberry slices to create a more effective petal effect in the very center.
- Chill until ready to serve.