Tender, melt in your mouth and perfectly delicious! Although the task of cooking octopus may seem daunting for some home cooks, it is not out of reach. A simmering stock pot filled with simple ingredients can help you achieve a new family favourite. Pair with a bed of mixed greens and a light vinaigrette to create a fantastic menu option for hot summer nights on the patio.
What you will need:
- 1 medium sized octopus
- 2 carrots; roughly chopped
- 1 celery stalk; roughly chopped
- 1/2 medium onion; roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves; crushed
- 3 sprigs of parsley
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 wine corks
- ½ a lemon
- Arugula or mixed greens for serving
- 1 garlic clove; minced
- 1 tbsp. Parsley; roughly chopped
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove; minced
- 1 tsp. granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. ground mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- You can easily find an octopus that has already been prepared at your local grocer. This includes a thorough cleaning and removal of the beak.
- In a large stock pot, on high heat add carrots, celery, onion, crushed garlic, parsley sprigs, wine, olive oil and wine corks. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Dip the octopus, tentacles first into stock pot; 3 times. This will emphasize the curl on the tentacles.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 45 minutes to an hour, until octopus is firm but tender. Tip: Use the neck of the octopus to test the tenderness by piercing with a knife. If knife is easily inserted, your octopus is ready.
- While octopus is boiling, make your vinaigrette. Simply add all ingredients into a mixing bowl and whisk until well combined. Transfer to a serving dish and chill until ready to serve.
- Once tender remove octopus from heat and place on a flat surface to cool.
- Add olive oil and minced garlic to a large frying pan and heat to a medium temperature.
- Once cool enough to handle, slice off tentacles and lay in heated frying pan. Coat with lemon juice, chopped parsley, salt and pepper. Cook 2 minutes per side.
- Remove from heat and place on a bed of mixed greens, then drizzle with vinaigrette. Serve immediately.