Pear Galette with Caramel Drizzle
Galettes have to be one of our new favourite dessert dishes to make. They are fairly basic, require minimal ingredients and the combinations are endless. You can make a simple galette dough by hand or use a premade puff pastry. Here is a version which uses puff pastry, stuffed with sliced pears simmered in sugar and spice, then finished with a generous drizzle of our homemade caramel sauce!
What you will need:
- 3 bartlett pears – thinly sliced
- 5 tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 tsp. all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tbsp. water
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- 1 pre-rolled puff pastry; thawed
- 1 egg yolk
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 ½ tbsp. milk
- 1 tsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
Prep Time: 20 minutes ◊ Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Start by preheating the oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a large pan, on medium-low heat, add pear slices, brown sugar, salt, flour, cinnamon, water and nutmeg. Mix until well combined.
- Let simmer until pears are tender; approximately 4-5 minutes. Stir often.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper and roll out puff pastry on top.
- Pour prepared pear mixture into the center of puff pastry. Then slowly fold up pastry dough around the fruit center, crimping as you fold.
- Brush top of pastry with egg yolk and sprinkle with a touch of brown sugar.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until pastry is golden brown. Let cool completely before adding caramel sauce.
- To make caramel drizzle; simply whisk brown sugar, butter, flour and milk in a small saucepan and bring to a gentle boil. Continue to whisk until thickened, approximately 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and mix in vanilla extract. Drizzle desired amount of caramel sauce over the cooled galette. Enjoy!