Mussels have to be one of our absolute favourite summertime patio dishes; perfect for sharing. They are such a refreshing, light and flavourful option which can be served as an appetizer or main course. Mussels are a delightful balance between simple and sophisticated. Try this recipe out for your next date night or dinner party! And of course, don’t forget to serve with a fresh baguette to dip into the mouth-watering sauce!
What you will need:
- 2 lbs live mussels
- 2 cups dry white wine ( i.e Pinot Grigio or Sauvignon Blanc)
- 3 large shallots; finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic; minced
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil and parsley (mixed)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 tablespoons of butter; cut into cubes
- 1-2 thick lemon wedges
- 1 fresh baguette; sliced
Prep Time: 20 minutes ◊ Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Rinse, scrub and remove mussel beards under cold running water. While cleaning, keep mussels in ice water to prevent them from opening. Discard any cracked or open mussels.
- In a large stockpot over medium heat, add shallots, garlic, salt and pepper. Let simmer for 5 minutes, stir occasionally.
- Add mussels, cover, increase heat and cook until mussels are open, about 5 minutes. Stir in butter and herbs. Remove from heat. Serve immediately with lemon wedges and freshly sliced baguette.