This side dish is so aromatic, garden fresh and bursting with vibrant flavours. We love cooking these caprese style mushrooms on the BBQ but of course the oven works great as well! These beauties pair wonderfully with steak and a glass of wine! Not only are they extremely easy to recreate, but are guaranteed to be a hit for dinner guests. Take these portobellos to the next level by seasoning with fresh herbs and a drizzle of balsamic reduction. The blend of flavour profiles are a symphony when paired together!
Below makes 4 servings:
What you will need:
- 4 portobello mushrooms; stems removed, washed and pat dry with paper towel
- 1 ball of mozzarella cheese; sliced thin and cut into cubes
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes; halved
- fresh basil; roughly chopped
- balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp. butter; melted
- 2 cloves of garlic; minced
- fresh parsley; roughly chopped
Prep Time: 20 minutes ◊ Cook Time: Oven 12- 15 minutes OR BBQ 10 minutes
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat (or 400 degrees F in the oven)
- Combine butter, parsley and garlic into a small bowl; then brush over then inside and outside of each mushroom. Season mushrooms with salt and pepper.
- Place mushrooms in an oven pan and layer the insides with mozzarella slices, tomatoes and sprinkle the tops with basil.
- Cook for 10 minutes on the BBQ or 12-15 in the oven until mushrooms are soft and juicy. You should be able to easily pierce the thickest part of the mushroom with a fork.
- For the balsamic reduction: add balsamic vinegar to saucepan and on medium heat cook for 6-8 minutes until thickened and reduced to a glaze, drizzle over cooked mushrooms and serve!