So rustic, easy and exquisite. You don’t need much to pull off this heavenly dessert! We love how effortlessly galettes can go from savoury to sweet. The options are endless. Try this delicious recipe for your next backyard BBQ or date night! This dish is forgiving and there is lots of room for creativity. We like how the pastry is not overly sweet, allowing the real sweetness to come from the fruit tucked inside! Crispy, golden pastry bursting with sweet seasonal berries; what is not to love?
What you will need:
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 6 tbsp. butter
- 1 tsp. brown sugar
- pinch of salt
- ¼ cup ice cold water
- 1 egg yolk; beaten
- 1.5 – 2 cups cherry preserve pie filling
- ½ cup confectioners sugar
- 1 – 2 tbsp. milk
Prep Time: 45 minutes Cook Time: 25 minutes
- In a large bowl, add flour, sugar, salt and mix together. Add butter and using a pastry blender or two knives, cut butter into flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Slowly add water and continue to mix until well combined.
- Transfer dough to a floured surface and knead until very smooth and silky feeling. Approximately 2-3 minutes. Roll into a ball and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Once chilled, roll pastry into a rough circle approximately 8-10 inches in diameter. Tip: Add parchment paper under pastry for easy transporting.
- Add pie filling to the centre of pastry circle. Spread evenly over pastry, leaving approximately 2 inches of pastry around the edges for folding.
- Slowly fold up the excess pastry, and pinch together as you go. This will hold the galettes shape when baked. Brush entire outside of pastry with egg yolk. Sprinkle top with a little sugar.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown. Let cool completely before drizzling with icing.