Convenient, delicious and super quick! This modern take on comfort food makes for a savoury weeknight dinner or unique meal prep option. The variety of pepper colour choices available can really make these individual portions pop! Consider pairing these mini meatloaves with rice or a mixed green salad.
Below makes 8 portions.
What you will need:
- 2 bell peppers
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- ½ cup cooking onion; thinly chopped
- 2 tbsp. BBQ or Worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- 2 garlic cloves; minced
- ¼ fresh basil; finely chopped
- 1 egg; beaten
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
Prep Time: 20 minutes ◊ Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Start by preheating your oven to 425 degrees F.
- Evenly slice off the top and bottoms of each bell pepper; remove and discard the core and seeds. Roughly chop up any useable pepper top and bottom to include in your filling.
- Slice each pepper into four 1 inch thick pepper rings. Place rings on a lightly greased baking sheet. Set aside.
- In an large bowl combine beef, onions, basil, garlic, sauce, bread crumbs, chopped peppers, egg, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly.
- Generously spoon mixture into pepper rings, packing well. Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden brown and peppers are tender. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and/or additional fresh basil and serve!