There are so many varieties of scones and flavour options available, but here is one of our favourites! The combination of lemon and cranberry is absolutely delicious, and even more enticing when served in a warm buttery pastry. Talk about melt in your mouth! These sweet delicate cakes are perfect to serve at showers, garden parties or as a ready-made snack for those busy weeks ahead. You can store these beauties in a tightly sealed container for 4-5 days. Serve warm and don’t forget the jam!
Below makes 12 scones.
What you will need:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter; cut into pieces
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 eggs; beaten
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
Prep Time: 20 minutes ◊ Cook Time: 10-11 minutes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Mix together. Add butter, and using two knives or pastry cutter, cut until butter resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center of the mixture. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, beat eggs, add milk, lemon zest, lemon juice, and vanilla extract. Mix thoroughly.
- Pour egg mixture into the center of flour mixture and using a fork, mix until all the flour is wet.
- Transfer dough onto a floured surface, and knead until dough becomes smooth and a ball forms. Dough will slicky, so you will need to add approximately 1/3 cup of flour as you knead. Kneading should take 3-4 minutes.
- Roll dough into an even ball, then slice in half with a large knife. With each half, roll into a separate smaller ball.
- Using your palms and fingers, flatten each ball into a circle 5-6 inches in diameter. Cut each circle into 6 even wedges. Place on a greased cooking sheet.
- Bake for 10-11 minutes until slightly golden in colour. Bottoms should be golden brown.
- Transfer to wire rack and let cool for 1 hour.
- To make glaze, add powdered sugar and lemon juice to a small bowl. Whisk until well combined. Once scones have completely cooled, drizzle scones with glaze. Sprinkle with granulated sugar.