What better way to kick off St. Patrick’s Day than corned beef, caramelized beer onions and melted cheese?! Now that is something to cheers to! This adult grilled cheese is all about elevation and capitalizing on so many flavour profiles. Enjoy this sandwich with your favourite draft beer this weekend!
Below makes two sandwiches.
What you will need:
- 4 slices of pumpernickel bread
- 6 oz. corned beef slices; cut into strips
- 2 cups white onion; sliced
- 1 and ½ tsp. sugar
- 1 cup dark draft beer
- 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp. worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup grated old cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
Prep Time: 10 minutes ◊ Cook Time: 15 minutes
- In a large frying pan, on medium heat melt butter. Add onions, sugar and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook for approximately 5 minutes until onions are golden brown and tender. Stir often.
- Add beer and continue to cook for another 5 minutes until the mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat and stir in Worcestershire sauce and mustard. Add corn beef and toss to mix.
- Butter one side of each bread slice. On a cutting board, lay two slices of bread, sprinkle with cheese and generously layer on the corned beef mixture. Top each with more cheese and additional slice of bread.
- Heat a large frying pan to medium heat, and fry sandwiches for 2-3 minutes per side until bread is crispy and cheese is melted. Serve hot!