Coconut; subtly sweet and delicate in flavour. These delightful crispy bites are so delicious and are a wonderful appetizer to share with your guests! Perfect to serve at dinner parties or on game day! Even those who are not huge fans of seafood have enjoyed these coconut shrimp! We love to infuse as much coconut flavour into each bite as possible, so here is a tip: try using coconut oil to pan fry!
What you will need:
- 20-25 raw shrimp (tails attached)
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs; beaten
- 3/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of pepper
- coconut or vegetable oil
- Sweet Chili Thai Sauce (for dipping!)
Prep Time: 20 minutes ◊ Cook Time: 15-20 minutes
- Start by laying out 4 medium size bowls. In the first bowl place your shrimp.
- In your second bowl mix together flour, salt and pepper. In your third bowl beat together your eggs.
- In your fourth bowl combine the coconut and breadcrumbs; mix thoroughly. Line your 4 bowls into an assembly line for easy preparation.
- To coat the shrimp, first dip shrimp into the flour, then dip into the eggs (shaking lose any excess drips) and finally lay into the coconut mix, lightly patting the mixture onto the shrimp so it adheres nicely. Set aside onto a plate while you finish coating all the shrimp.
- Heat a large frying pan to medium-high heat, coating the pan in a healthy amount of coconut oil. You will need to cook your shrimp in batches as to not crowed the pan. Cook each batch of shrimp for 2-3 minutes per side until crispy and golden brown. Transfer cooked shrimp to a large plate lined with paper towel while you finish frying the shrimp. Add more coconut oil with each new batch.
- We love to serve our coconut shrimp with Sweet Chili Thai Sauce. Enjoy!